- Emerging Writers Festival, Alexandria, VA — Friday 16 August – Sunday 18 August 2019
Reading from Be with Me Always at Carlyle House, 121 N Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, Magnolia Terrace on Saturday 17 August 2019, 2:30 p.m.
Leading the workshop “After the Art” at the Atheneum, 201 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA, Lower Gallery, Saturday 17 August 2019, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- HippoCamp (the creative nonfiction conference run by Hippocampus Magazine) Lancaster, PA — Friday 23 – Sunday 25 August 2019
Reading from Be with Me Always as part of “A Night of Nonfiction: Debut AuthorReadings & Discussion”
Leading the workshop “Crafting the Lyric Essay“
- Cedar Ridge Writers
Leading the workshop “The Art of the Hybrid: Using Creative Forms to Shape Essays and Memoirs,” Bedminster, NJ — Saturday 21 September, 10:30-4:00
- Politics and Prose Bookstore, in Washington, DC for “The Pleasures and Practices of Journaling” (June-July 2019)
- Advanced Nonfiction Writing at East Carolina University (January-May 2019)
- Politics and Prose Bookstore, in Washington, DC for “The Pleasures and Practices of Journaling” (September-October 2018)
- HippoCamp: A Conference for Creative Nonfiction Writers, in Lancaster, PA, for “Crafting the Lyric Essay” (August 2018)
- HippoCamp: A Conference for Creative Nonfiction Writers, in Lancaster, PA, for “Worries of the Poet, Tools of the Essayist” (August 2017)
- The Writer’s Center, Bethesda, MD for classes on memoir, spiritual memoir, and “From Private Diaries to Public Writing.”
- The Center for Prayer and Pilgrimage at the Washington National Cathedral for spiritual writing gatherings and writing-based pilgrimages.
- Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
May 2010 – Co-instructor of “Personal Essay and Narrative Medicine,” an elective writing class for medical students
- American University, Washington, DC
College Writing Program, Department of Literature, September 2001 – August 2009 — Full-time instructor of three writing courses each term (honors and non-honors composition courses, composition courses for students with learning disabilities, introductory creative writing and creative nonfiction courses, honors colloquia), service on department committees, advising and mentoring
- New York University
Expository Writing Program, September 1998 – May 2001 — Instructor of honors and non-honors composition courses for first-year student
Creative Writing Program, Spring 2000, Fall 2000 — Instructor of introductory classes of creative writing, which included work with both fiction and poetry