I’m happy to announce that I’m editing an anthology of lyric essays to be published by the University of Nebraska Press in 2021. To that end, I’m looking for unpublished essays in these forms:
- flash nonfiction (750 words or fewer)
- segmented (essays divided into segments)
- braided (essays with a woven pattern of three or more strands or themes)
- hermit crab (essays that uses an extra-literary form as their structure)
- and craft (essays ABOUT lyric essays)
Subject matter is open. Maximum word count is 4000.
If accepted, you’ll be asked to write a short meditation on the lyric essay to be included at the end of the anthology – the way the contributors of Sudden Fiction (a 1983 anthology that worked to define what we now think of as flash fiction) did in their AfterWords.
Please format your essay this way:
- 12-point Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins, double spaced (if the form calls for it)
- your name, address, email address, and word count in a heading on the first page
- a 50-word bio at the end
Please also put the FORM of your essay in the subject line of your email and send your submission to email@example.com.
Payment will be in the form of two author copies and $150 of UNP books of your choice.
The deadline is 1 September 2019.